Old 31-08-2017, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotment Scorpion

Recently a Scorpion was reported seen on our Nature Garden at our North
London Allotment.

What kind of a risk might this pose to children visiting this part of
the allotment? And what steps if any could be taken to removing such
insects? Thanks.
Old 31-08-2017, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
john west wrote:
Recently a Scorpion was reported seen on our Nature Garden at our North
London Allotment.

What kind of a risk might this pose to children visiting this part of
the allotment? And what steps if any could be taken to removing such
insects? Thanks.

Negligible. Dangerous scorpions have large stingers and small claws;
the European yellow-tailed scorpion is exactly the converse. Just
warn them that there are things that sting and not to stick their
fingers into holes. None of that differs from the pre-scorpion era,
with bees, wasps, mice, shrews etc.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-08-2017, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

john west posted
Recently a Scorpion was reported seen on our Nature Garden at our North
London Allotment.

What kind of a risk might this pose to children visiting this part of
the allotment? And what steps if any could be taken to removing such
insects? Thanks.

First find your scorpion. How reliable was the report?

--
Jack
Old 31-08-2017, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 09:46:30 +0100, john west
wrote:

Recently a Scorpion was reported seen on our Nature Garden at our North
London Allotment.

What kind of a risk might this pose to children visiting this part of
the allotment?

Well, there's a risk they might learn something useful, like observing
insects and nature and being taught something about them.

And what steps if any could be taken to removing such
insects? Thanks.

Allotments are a good place to teach children about their place in the
wider community of gardening and nature. If the child is bored and
pesky, best remove it.

Almost certainly, no risk at all. Scorpions have been resident in the
UK for a century and a half, mostly in dockland areas where they
probably came in on imported goods. The best known is the
Yellow-Tailed scorpion, that has a thriving colony on the Isle of
Sheppy, centred on the dockland area of Sheerness. They can reach 2
inches long, apparently, but their sting is relatively harmless, being
no worse than a bee or wasp sting, although if the victim is allergic
to such stings, the effects could be serious. But that applies equally
to bee and wasp stings for those individuals, and bees and wasps are
ubiquitous. See for example this wildlife web site:
http://www.jasonsteelwildlifephotogr...-scorpions.php

That was interesting, thanks.

Janet.
Old 31-08-2017, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Also in some parts of the underground in London I understand.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 31-08-2017, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

and here the False Widow Spider. I have learnt to look before grabbing
anything in our garage, a tip learnt from relatives in Oz.

I learnt to shake shoes out before putting them on, to dislodge any
scorpions, before I was four. But that wasn't in the UK :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, 31 August 2017 20:01:39 UTC+1, David wrote:
On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 13:25:26 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article , says...

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

and here the False Widow Spider. I have learnt to look before grabbing
anything in our garage, a tip learnt from relatives in Oz.

I learnt to shake shoes out before putting them on, to dislodge any
scorpions, before I was four. But that wasn't in the UK :-)

In UK we learned to shake out all shoes boots and wellies to remove
the dead rodents cached there by the cat.

Janet.

Or on one memorable occasion a live frog.

Not sure which looked more startled.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Or in my case the wasp in winter, which was a problem as it stung me and I am anaphylactic. Luckily the EPI pen worked and nothing serious happened.

Jonathan

Scorpion question charliekilo Texas 7 02-02-2006 09:42 AM
Another scorpion question Dave-tx Texas 11 17-01-2006 04:35 PM
scorpion control? Ruth Shear Texas 18 08-07-2003 12:08 AM
Overgrown allotment? H United Kingdom 10 16-01-2003 11:27 PM
Newbie - Allotment clearance Sam United Kingdom 3 27-10-2002 05:49 PM