Old 29-10-2017, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default light frost

On 10/29/2017 11:29 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 10/29/2017 9:28 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 10/29/2017 8:21 AM, George Shirley wrote:
Went out at daylight and found frost on the grass but not on the
raised bed gardens. Looks like we might get a freeze before to long
but I hope not.

The born again pears (first crop came on in early January and then
were hit twice with a hard freeze. Then they came back blooming and
putting on fruit and that fruit is turning a russet color toward
ripeness and are being hunted by another freeze. Naturally the fruit
are about the size of a golf ball so there's not going to be much
fruit to eat or preserve. Maybe next season, aka January 2018, we
won't have a double down freeze again.

Not only all that above but the tree is blooming again, I'm afraid
there's going to be another hard freeze before spring. I'm thinking
of throwing a tarp over the tree just to save the blooms for next
year. Have some old two by fours about sixteen feet long that might
just hold up a tarp and might even confuse the folks driving by. G

George

Â*Â* It was like 18° this morning at 7:25 when I went out to warm up
the car for my wife . Frosty ! The garden is finished , stuff was
turning black yesterday after an overnight low in the high 20's .
Methinks Winter has made an appearance here ...

Â*Â* --

Â*Â* Snag

My wife has to start a cold car, she was raised in Maryland, it gets
cold there. G

Â* I do it mainly to defrost the windows . She hates waiting for it to
warm up . If it's too frosted up I'll scrape the side windows , but
prefer to let it melt the windshield . Back glass and the mirrors have
'lectricky heat so I don't mess with those .

Â* --

Â* Snag