Old 06-01-2018, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David[_24_] David[_24_] is offline

Default SOT - seems a bit early...

On Fri, 05 Jan 2018 11:52:49 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 11:34:14 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

Photographed a few minutes ago on the garden tap insulation. Outside
temp was 7.5 deg C.
https://imgur.com/UCES7gS

It flew off when I touched it, so it wasn't even "sleepy".

A 'red admirable' as we call them in our household, which is apparently
what they were originally called. This, from
https://www.gwct.org.uk/wildlife/spe...7/red-admiral/

"The name ‘red admiral’ apparently comes from a corruption of the
original 18th-century name ‘red admirable’."

and on the same page:

"The first admirals to be spotted here in spring, sometimes as early as
February, may well have managed to overwinter in the south of England as
adults, although usually our winters are too harsh for them to survive.
Climate change may well be resulting in more adult admirals managing to
successfully overwinter here."

In the past they have overwintered in our garage, and emerged in spring.

I haven't seen any around this year yet.

We leave a window open so that they can get in and out instead of being
found trapped when we open the doors.

I assume being inside a building protects them from seriously sub-zero
temperatures as the garage is detached and unheated.

Cheers

Dave R

---