Old 15-01-2018, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_6_] Bob Hobden[_6_] is offline

Default Brown bin food and garden waste recycling

On 15 Jan 2018 18:11, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 13 Jan 2018 19:48:54 GMT, David wrote:
For many years (at least 10 I think) we have had a brown bin for recycling
garden waste and food waste. Provided by the council.

The current contract is ending and the council are proposing to start
charging in the future. Oh, they will supply a full size brown bin if
requested; for reasons of general stupidity everyone was originally given
a half size bin with the option to buy a second half size one if required.
But I digress.

We don't have much in the way of borders so composting is not the answer;
we would have nowhere to put all the compost.

Just wondering if most people had a free collection of garden and food
waste for recycling at the moment.

I foresee that there will not be a full uptake of the new service and so
there is the potential for charges to be raised to make up the shortfall
in revenue, which will in turn lead to a further fall in use, higher
prices, death spiral.

I am also intrigued by the way they intend to police this. I assume that
they will come round and collect all the brown bins from people who don't
want to pay instead of trying to maintain a list, but who knows?

Probable result will be the same number of recycling bin lorries covering
the same distance with the same crew, but just collecting less waste.
There is a dedicated lorry for the blue bins (packaging etc.) and another
for the brown bins (organic waste) so money saving doesn't seem to be on
the cards.

Anyway, do most people get a free collection?

No, not here in Runnymede BC. They provide a large brown bin if you pay
and collect it weekly. If you don't pay you don't get a bin. I might add

that they provide a small green bin for food waste collected weekly.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden