Old 13-01-2018, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Brown bin food and garden waste recycling

For many years (at least 10 I think) we have had a brown bin for recycling
garden waste and food waste. Provided by the council.

The current contract is ending and the council are proposing to start
charging in the future. Oh, they will supply a full size brown bin if
requested; for reasons of general stupidity everyone was originally given
a half size bin with the option to buy a second half size one if required.
But I digress.

We don't have much in the way of borders so composting is not the answer;
we would have nowhere to put all the compost.

Just wondering if most people had a free collection of garden and food
waste for recycling at the moment.

I foresee that there will not be a full uptake of the new service and so
there is the potential for charges to be raised to make up the shortfall
in revenue, which will in turn lead to a further fall in use, higher
prices, death spiral.

I am also intrigued by the way they intend to police this. I assume that
they will come round and collect all the brown bins from people who don't
want to pay instead of trying to maintain a list, but who knows?

Probable result will be the same number of recycling bin lorries covering
the same distance with the same crew, but just collecting less waste.
There is a dedicated lorry for the blue bins (packaging etc.) and another
for the brown bins (organic waste) so money saving doesn't seem to be on
the cards.

Anyway, do most people get a free collection?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 13-01-2018, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Jan 2018 19:48:54 GMT, David wrote:

For many years (at least 10 I think) we have had a brown bin for recycling
garden waste and food waste. Provided by the council.

Anyway, do most people get a free collection?

You will need quite a few answers to form an opinion as different
authorities vary so much and some of them have different policies
depending on the property.

FWIW here under New Forest actual garden waste and nothing else if
you cannot compost/burn/take it the recycling center yourself can be
collected in dedicated sacks in which 20Kg can be placed.
Cost for 11 months with fortnightly collection is £32 for the first
sack and £17 for each extra one.
You can opt for a shorter periods July to March at £27 -£14
or October to March at £21-£11.

No collection middle of December to Mid January.

We don't use the service as we have room to compost.
The Daleks came free but I cannot recall now if it was the council or
the water company, should have been one but someone must have hit the
wrong key and 3 turned up.
A lot of food waste goes in these if suitable and what isn't goes in
the non recyclable rubbish sack collected weekly.

In contrast my Mother in Torridge district has a green wheelie bin in
which she can put all garden waste and food waste but I believe that
is due to change soon, the bin will be for garden waste only at £36
per year collected fortnightly.
Food waste to be dealt with separately.

G.Harman
Old 14-01-2018, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David wrote:

Just wondering if most people had a free collection of garden and food
waste for recycling at the moment.

Here it costs an extra £24/year to have a garden-waste wheelie bin,
emptied fortnightly (except during winter).

Old 15-01-2018, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2018 19:48, David wrote:
Anyway, do most people get a free collection?

Cheshire East doesn't charge (though I use a couple of jumbo bags sat on
the allotment instead); both garden and allotment are heavy clay, so I
want to add organic matter anyway. Cheshire East does make some money
selling the results as a soil conditioner.
--
SRH
Old 15-01-2018, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David wrote:

Rushcliffe (Nottinghamshire) provide a green bin, but emptying
costs £30 pa for fortnightly collection, apart from a pause
around Christmas.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Old 15-01-2018, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2018 19:48, David wrote:

Around my way food waste is collected as part of the council tax - the
council refuse service supplying a small container (slightly bigger than
a bucket). Peelings are considered to be food waste.

Garden waste is an add-on as a paid for service at around £42 annum. The
waste must be in dedicated compostable sacks or bin for which the
householder has to pay an additional cost.

Self delivery to the local 'tip' is free.

Old 15-01-2018, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2018 19:48, David wrote:
For many years (at least 10 I think) we have had a brown bin for recycling
garden waste and food waste. Provided by the council.

The current contract is ending and the council are proposing to start
charging in the future. Oh, they will supply a full size brown bin if
requested; for reasons of general stupidity everyone was originally given
a half size bin with the option to buy a second half size one if required.
But I digress.

We don't have much in the way of borders so composting is not the answer;
we would have nowhere to put all the compost.

Just wondering if most people had a free collection of garden and food
waste for recycling at the moment.

Increasingly cash strapped councils are charging extra for green waste
since they are not under any statutory obligation to collect it.

I foresee that there will not be a full uptake of the new service and so
there is the potential for charges to be raised to make up the shortfall
in revenue, which will in turn lead to a further fall in use, higher
prices, death spiral.

And a lot of fly tipping too

I am also intrigued by the way they intend to police this. I assume that
they will come round and collect all the brown bins from people who don't
want to pay instead of trying to maintain a list, but who knows?

If it is anything like ours they issue tags for all the people who have
paid their dues.

Probable result will be the same number of recycling bin lorries covering
the same distance with the same crew, but just collecting less waste.
There is a dedicated lorry for the blue bins (packaging etc.) and another
for the brown bins (organic waste) so money saving doesn't seem to be on
the cards.

Anyway, do most people get a free collection?

Not any more. It used to be free.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 15-01-2018, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

No, not here in Runnymede BC. They provide a large brown bin if you pay
and collect it weekly. If you don't pay you don't get a bin.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 15-01-2018, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 Jan 2018 18:11, Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

and collect it weekly. If you don't pay you don't get a bin. I might add

that they provide a small green bin for food waste collected weekly.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-01-2018, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 19:48:54 +0000, David wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all responders.

It does seem that most councils charge for garden waste, although a few do
food waste for free.

I think we are pushing back instinctively because it was free and they now
want to charge for it.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 19-01-2018, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 13:35:17 +0000, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

David wrote:

Rushcliffe (Nottinghamshire) provide a green bin, but emptying
costs £30 pa for fortnightly collection, apart from a pause
around Christmas.

But in much of Rushcliffe you can burn it.

Or move to the City where collection is free for the Spring-Autumn
months.

--
AnthonyL