Old 01-02-2018, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sharon Sharon is offline

Default Electric cables

On 01/02/18 15:11, David wrote:

I'm not sure that it is accurate either.
Firstly you don't necessarily need Part P.
Secondly I would be very surprised if there is a qualified electrician who
is not Part P registered because the is very little s(he) could legally do
commercially.

Cheers

Dave R

That isn't quite true. A relative retired last year from a job of Plant
Maintenance Engineer in a factory. He could work on the factory
electricity systems because Part P was specifically for dwellings, but
couldn't do anything that needed Part P qualifications in a domestic
environment because he hadn't sat the exam for the certificate; and he
couldn't just sit the exam, he had to complete a course beforehand. It
wasn't worth the money or the time off work so he didn't bother to prove
that what he did regularly at work he could also do at home.

As for garden wiring, Part P certification applies unless power is
delivered by armoured cable.