Old 20-02-2018, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David[_24_] David[_24_] is offline

Default Any newt experts here?

Just found a common newt swimming round and round in the cat's water bowl
(outside).

I assumed that it had climbed in looking for a breeding pond and got
stuck, so I tipped it out onto a damp area of the deck.

However it hasn't moved since.

Online search suggests that newts are nocturnal, so I'm not sure if what
passes for daylight at the moment is a problem.

I'm sure we have handled newts many times when fettling garden ponds and
they have been active. Again that was in spring/summer/autumn when it was
a bit warmer. I'm wondering if it is too cold for the cold blooded animal
to move effectively.

Anyway I don't want to harm the poor little thing (assuming that just
tipping it out gently doesn't count as harm) but I also don't want to just
leave it cold and immobile.

Any recommendations? We don't have any kind of pond in the garden at the
moment.

Cheers

Dave R

---