Old 20-02-2018, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any newt experts here?

Just found a common newt swimming round and round in the cat's water bowl
(outside).

I assumed that it had climbed in looking for a breeding pond and got
stuck, so I tipped it out onto a damp area of the deck.

However it hasn't moved since.

Online search suggests that newts are nocturnal, so I'm not sure if what
passes for daylight at the moment is a problem.

I'm sure we have handled newts many times when fettling garden ponds and
they have been active. Again that was in spring/summer/autumn when it was
a bit warmer. I'm wondering if it is too cold for the cold blooded animal
to move effectively.

Anyway I don't want to harm the poor little thing (assuming that just
tipping it out gently doesn't count as harm) but I also don't want to just
leave it cold and immobile.

Any recommendations? We don't have any kind of pond in the garden at the
moment.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 20-02-2018, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 12:55:06 +0000, David wrote:

[...]

Panic over (or at least much reduced).

It has moved, although not far, so I am assuming that all is well.

Or at least, as well as can be expected this time of year.

Next few days (and especially nights) are looking a bit chilly for
wandering newts.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 20-02-2018, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/02/2018 13:20, David wrote:
It has moved, although not far, so I am assuming that all is well.

Put it somewhere the birds can't see it. Preferably sheltered from frost.

We had one in the lounge once. Scared the **** out of my wife, all she
could see was this thing slowly crawling towards here... she was OK once
identified.

Spring is on its way - we had a frog in our pond last weekend. I say had
- we know this because we saw a heron eat it

Andy