Old 25-03-2018, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planters/tubs

On 25/03/18 10:54, Broadback wrote:
I have a fair number of large Planters in my garden. Sadly quite a few
have been frost damaged this year, so I am looking for some
replacements. I like the earthenware ones, but these are prone to frost
damage. So any ideas on what to replace them with? Also a reliable
source with quality and price in mind? TIA

Firstly, avoid anything said to be "frost resistant". That's a totally
meaningless term. You need "frost proof".

There are an increasing number of suppliers for those. But there might
still be problems, as many years ago I bought 4 large shallow tubs of
Yorkshire Pottery manufacture. One year, despite being well protected,
three of them cracked. I got in touch with YP, who replaced them under
guarantee, although it took some time. I believe that all these
frost-proof tubs are fired at a higher temperature than the others. I
wonder if that introduces internal forces which sometimes result in
stress fractures?

The other thing I would avoid is pots which have a smaller diameter at
the top than half way down. If those freeze, there is nowhere for the
ice to go other than out. With those of - shall we say - a trumpet-like
shape, if it freezes half way down there is a chance it will push itself
out the top rather than going sideways and breaking the container.

--

Jeff