Old 12-04-2018, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Costo's selling big Orange and Olive trees

In article ,
David wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 07:08:52 -0700, lindabates wrote:
On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 10:42:25 PM UTC, Janet wrote:

Olive trees should survive outdoors in mild areas. I've got one
that's
thrived outside for 14 years with no protection or damage at all.

Janet (Isle of Arran)

Olive trees grow fine in pots in the SE.

Citrus need some protection from harsh winters but will also survive all
year round in pots.

I wouldn't bet on it, except in mild areas. The soil in pots freezes
where I am, and Cambridge is still the south-east! Citrus is a very
variable species/genus/whatever, and some are pretty hardy but others
are very tender. That being said, pots are often a better bet, as
waterlogging kills more such plants than freezing.

Our olive (a gift last year) seems to have come through OK in a pot
with no protection, but I brought the citrus in.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.