Old 02-05-2018, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_6_] Bob Hobden[_6_] is offline

Default Grumble, grumble, weather, planting seeds?

On 2 May 2018 14:16, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:
Most seeds seem to have a minimum temperature for planting, and a

period
(month or so) for planting.

Essentially, yes - vegetable seeds, anyway :-(

In the East of England recent temperatures have been down to 4C

during the
day which is well below the minimum temperature on the packets.

I've got some seeds germinating/germinated which came up rapidly in

the
warm weather but seem to have slowed down almost to a stop.

Most of mine haven't shown, and I suspect they have germinated and died.
I have resown some in the same location.

I have some courgette seeds to plant, but I can't decide if it is

worth
planting them until the weather picks up.

If you can start them in pots, especially indoors, it is a great help.
I sprout mine on wet kitchen rull under cling film, and then put them
in pots. I then plant them when the space is ready and the weather
looks as good as it will get.

I'm about a month behind with stuff on our allotment. Only planted the
shallots and onions last week, spuds the week before all together. Our
ground is still very wet (clay/silt) and todays downpour will not have
helped. Never ever known being so late.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden