Old 03-05-2018, 01:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Yellow[_3_] Yellow[_3_] is offline

Default Runner beans - sown direct - which way up?

On Wed, 2 May 2018 19:56:42 +0100, Chris ] posted:

When runner bean seeds are pushed into the soil does it matter which way
up they go?

I guess that in nature they might fall flat on the ground, but some say
they should be on edge with the "eye" down.

Any knowledge of this?
Or - what do you do - and how well does it work?
Any controlled experiments?

I did my beans a few weeks ago and as it happens searched the internet
for the answer to that question but could not find a definitive answer
either.

So I planted them upright, so with the eye to the side. I planted them
in toilet rolls, in an unheated conservatory, and during that warm snap
they grew huge so they are already outside in pots growing up bamboo
canes.