Old 07-05-2018, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Daffodils

On 07/05/18 17:36, Roger Tonkin wrote:
I was tying down my daffodils in the troughs in the front
garden over the weekend, partly because I usually do and partly
to show the tulips in the pots better.

A man passing by stopped and said "Oh, I've not seen anyone tie
down daffodils like that for years" (or words to that effect).
Made me think:

a) Is it worth doing, except for the second reason above?
b) Does it help the bulb?
c) Looking around the gardens here, why does no one else do it!

As long as the daffodil leaves are straight and green, they are
supplying food to the bulb for next year's plant - including the flower.
If you bend and knot them and cut off the food supply, you are risking
smaller bulbs and inferior flowers.

--

Jeff