Old 28-05-2018, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shrub IDs

On 28/05/2018 10:20, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 28 May 2018 09:23:29 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

These were taken yesterday at Pylewell Park near Lymington.

Unknown1:
https://imgur.com/a/jQ92d9f
https://imgur.com/TThdA9Z

Unknown2
https://imgur.com/kxAoBhw

Unknown1a (close-up Unknown1b) was about 4 x 4 metres in size.
Unknown2 was about the same size. I believe that Unknown2 had no scent.
I did not check that of Unknown1

I have no idea if these shrubs are deciduous or not. Pylewell Park has a
remarkable collection of plants, many dating from the late 19th or early
20th century, and coming from China, Australasia, and South America.
There were a couple of embothriums in flower, one of which was 6 - 7
metres high, and a large number of magnolia, cornus, and rhodos. With
many of the shrubs and trees I could not even guess which family they
were from!

This plant collection is well worth seeing, but maintenance of such a
large collection is difficult and time-consuming.

Don't know about 1. My first thought was an evergreen azalea or rhodo
of some sort, but the leaves are very rugose, (I think that's the
right term!), and I'm sure you'd have recognised it if it was.

For 2, try Camellia chrysantha (aka c. nitidissima, I believe),
although I don't know its flowering season. Images here
https://bit.ly/2si4I0c

Number one looks a bit like a pale Kolkwitzia but it could easily could
be one of the myriad of Dutzia

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall