Old 07-06-2018, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Too Wet!

T wrote:
Never really cared for dill. Maybe home grown
tastes better. Right now the main issue is cheat grass

Cheat Grass
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromus_tectorum

And cheat grass will grow ANYWHERE. Doesn't mean
anything about my soil.

Every night when I come home from work, I clear out a
little area of cheat grass. I am starting to see a bit
of progress. But there a millions more to go and they
are starting to mock me. "Ha Ha! Back hurts, doesn't
it! [raspberries]"

every bit you can clear out is that many fewer
seeds that can sprout later. but from the read
it sounds like it will be a multi-year project to
get rid of it. are you planting any other cover
crops? if you are watering each day you should
be able to grow something else besides grass.

i'm not sure how buckwheat would do, but it is
quick growing and worth a try for the shade and
bee habitat/food it provides. the big leaves
make it tough for other plants to compete. if
you are clearing an area, reseed it with something
else.

one prolific annual here is called love in a mist.
unique plant and blue flowers. zillions of seeds.
grows in the gravel along with the annual poppies.

But I do also have dandelions. Since a weed is
agricultural discard, I tried some organic dandelion
greens from the store, thinking maybe I can turn
the table on these guys. And well, all I can say is
now I know why they are an agricultural discard.
YUK YUK YUK.

did you cook them according to some recipe or just
eat them? i've not ever tried them. purslane i
have tried.

On the bright side, a lot of spots are glowing red
with purslane sprouts. I like misting everything
anyway to keep the fire hazard down from all the
cheat grass (they are easier to pull that way too)
and the purslane really love that.

I am not sue any of my neighbors would fall for
my "Free Weeds; You Pick" sign anyway.

:-)

nobody ever does...

songbird