Old 29-09-2018, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_6_] Bob Hobden[_6_] is offline

Default Overflowing Compost Heaps

On 29 Sep 2018 21:28, john west wrote:
At our allotment most people have built compost heaps usually
constructed of three wooden pallets nailed together.
Most compost heaps are nearly overflowing and people are at a bit of
loss as to what to do next.
Its invariably too un-composted to use as compost, or its too damp to
burn on a bonfire.
Any suggestions as to some way forward please?
Ideally some kind of machine you can throw your heap in to and grind it
to some useable consistency or some such? Grateful for any
suggestions. Thanks.

This year it's been very hot and dry and the compost heaps haven't
composted very well, even our two which are each double that size at
least.
They should get going now but slowly as it's colder. A shredder would
reduce the pile considerably (still need composting) but you would need
a proper impact shredder not a household one. Hire shop?

Regards
Bob Hobden