Old 02-10-2018, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Overflowing Compost Heaps

On 29/09/2018 21:28, john west wrote:
At our allotment most people have built compost heaps usually
constructed of three wooden pallets nailed together.
Most compost heaps are nearly overflowing and people are at a bit of
loss as to what to do next.

Build another one next to it.

You need (at least) a pair of heaps one for putting stuff onto and one
maturing into decent compost after you have turned it once. I am lazy -
I have three and use them in rotation. My heap is usually hot although
it has failed by drying out a couple of times this year leaving layers
of uncomposted dry grass cuttings here and there.

Its invariably too un-composted to use as compost, or its too damp to
burn on a bonfire.
Any suggestions as to some way forward please?

Make another bay and fling it over into that (especially the rough and
barely rotted stuff at the top. A couple of feet down you may find that
the composting process has gone far enough to be usable as a mulch.

Ideally some kind of machine you can throw your heap in to and grind it
to some useable consistency or some such?Â*Â* Grateful for any
suggestions.Â*Â* Thanks.

Time, elbow grease to tun it over and extra space will do it. Probably
in time for spring. That is when I aim to have mine ready to use.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown