Old 16-06-2019, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree Cauterization

On 6/15/2019 1:14 PM, Fat Baby wrote:
replying to kris7, Fat Baby wrote:
I have used a torch (blue bottle bernzomatic, commonly used by plumbers for
soldering pipe) to cauterize my tree pruning cuts for years with excellent
results. I've used it on Live Oak, Red Oak, and Shumard Oak too name a few.
It's recommended to do any pruning in the winter while the plant is dormant.
Just remember, trees don't heel, they seal.

I use white glue, any of Elmer's, Glue Bird, Wilhold, etc. I use this
on any cut on a rose bush when cutting a stem larger than a soda straw,
not only when pruning but also when grooming away dead flowers. I also
use white glue on larger thinning cuts and on minor heading cuts on my
peach tree.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see