Old 05-08-2019, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Hedge Trimmer Selection

On 03/08/2019 07:59, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Yes I know there are numerous "reviews" that can be Googled, but I am
hoping for relatively ubiased opinion from real world users.

Can people please recommend a suitable trimmer for a mixed hedge?
It comprises escallonia, cotoneaster, honey suckle, eleagnus and
ceanothus (with the odd photinia and viburnum birwoodi).

To date I have been coping/battling with a seriously old B & D jobbie.
But it is becoming increasingly unreliable and only has a 500mm blade.

I am quite happy to continue with a corded model and would certainly
prefer that to a heavy battery unit.

The hedge size is about 35m long x 2.4m high and clearly from the
constituent shrubs has "branches".
Ideally I would like a device that could be used to reduce the height,
but suspect that such an animal may be too heavy.
I am an aging office boy, so cutting this is quite an effort these days,
hence the weight consideration.

Not sure that this warrants a petrol driven item.

Often the way to reduce the height of a hedge is to first get in there
with a pruning saw or loppers and to cut/remove any thick branches to
height below that you want to maintain. Any new growth will then be soft
and a lighter weight trimmer could then be used at regular intervals to
maintain it.