Old 19-11-2019, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default Mystery plants revisited

Some may recall my request for ID of two plants that sprang up in our
garden in September/October -- I recorded them at
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5Ebgj4oWNHEwXkdi9

Plant "A" is the first two photos on that page, Plant "B" is the second
two photos.

(I think that) the consensus was that they are merely niger/nyger plants
that had sprung from discarded seed, thanks to the bizarre weather
conditions (so what's, now, new?) of this past year.

We've now had severe frosts, and it's bye-bye to the two mystery guests.
I took more photos before digging them up. These are at

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yhLaxss2tJX2QNGA6

(Don't forget to avail yourself of Googlephotos' magnifying glass if you
want a closer look.)

The first three are Plant "A", and the other 4 are plant "B".
You can see that A was still showing no signs of flowering, and also
that it has a conventional root system. (The hairy stalk, by the way,
was _not_ sticky, that I could detect.)

B was showing signs of flowering all over by this time, but of course
there was no chance of the flowers emerging. There was no tuber: just
conventional roots, again; an interesting stalk, I thought, hence the
cross-section photo.

Hope this is of interest to some!

Cheers
John