Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default Common Names

In article , P van Rijckevorsel
writes
I guess I should not be surprised that it is more complicated than I
imagined. I have a "Gaelic Names of Plants" and thought this covered it. I
suppose there is a "Scots Names of Plants" as well?

I don't know of the existence of such a book, but there are Scots
dictionaries. The only specifically Scots plant names that immediately
come to mind are "plane" (_Acer pseudoplatanus_), "neap" (_Brassica
rapa_) and "tattie" (_Solanum tuberosum_).

The Flora Celtica website at RBGE gives some Scots names of plants.

http://193.62.154.38/celtica/fc.htm

I suppose this Scots is the language of "Kinmont Willie" and the like?

More or less.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley