Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Common Names

P van Rijckevorsel writes
I guess I should not be surprised that it is more complicated than I

imagined. I have a "Gaelic Names of Plants" and thought this covered it. I
suppose there is a "Scots Names of Plants" as well?

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
I don't know of the existence of such a book, but there are Scots

dictionaries. The only specifically Scots plant names that immediately
come to mind are "plane" (_Acer pseudoplatanus_), "neap" (_Brassica
rapa_) and "tattie" (_Solanum tuberosum_).

The Flora Celtica website at RBGE gives some Scots names of plants.

http://193.62.154.38/celtica/fc.htm

+ + +
Nice, but they seem to list more Gaelic than 'Scots' names.
Something analogous to this Flora Celtica project was done for the Low
Countries in Gent (I believe, might have been Leuven), but in pre-web days.
+ + +

I suppose this Scots is the language of "Kinmont Willie" and the like?

=========
More or less.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley