Old 09-04-2020, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Muggles[_8_] Muggles[_8_] is offline

Default And so it begins

On 4/8/2020 6:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/8/2020 5:44 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 4/7/2020 8:57 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/7/2020 8:44 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 2:31:01 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 4/7/2020 1:00 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/7/2020 10:25 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 4/6/2020 9:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â*Â*Â*Today was tilling day for a new patch to plant some blueberries
and
most of the rest of the garden . It was also bee hive splitting and
onion planting day . Tomorrow I'll be picking up some seedlings at
the
co-op ... I probably won't plant them right away , we're
forecast for
one more frost and I don't want to buy 'em twice . I'll be
waiting a
couple of weeks minimum to plant the vine crops , got some cukes
and
zukes and squashes I want to grow this year . And the strawberry
patch
is blowin' up and the bees are working it steadily . I'm really
optimistic about the garden this year , it's started out really
well ...

My son has been raising his own veggies from seed for the last
month. So
far, so good!Â* Now all he has to do is clean out the old chicken
coup to
put his new hen chicks in it.

Â*Â*Â* If he's planning on using that chicken litter as fertilizer make
sure
he knows that it must be composted before use . It's really high in
nitrogen and will burn the tender young roots if he uses it straight
from the coop .

The stuff that needs cleaning is old, so it'll go straight into the
beds, more than likely.

--Â*
Maggie
That reminds me that I have to sweep out the sheep barn.

Paul
I'll be visiting my neighbor's rabbit cages several times tomorrow with
my yard tractor and a small trailer ... some will be mixed into my
compost pile , some will be mixed with the soil when I plant my
seedlings in a few days . None will be wasted .

My son cleaned out the old chicken coup and set aside the stuff he
shoveled up.Â* He finally put his egg layer chicks in the small part of
the coup and they seem happy.

In the process one chick got loose and he hasn't caught it yet.Â* It's
taken refuge under the workshop.Â* Got any ideas how to lure the chick
out and catch it?

Food and or water . Put it under a box propped up on a stick and just
wait ...

I'll let my son know ... thanks

--
Maggie