Old 18-04-2020, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The curse of weed control membrane

On 18/04/20 10:54, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

The biggest problem is the Spanish bluebells which get beneath the
membrane and take ages to dig out. It took over 5 years to clear them,
and yesterday I discovered another half dozen! I will triple-spray them
with glyphosate over a week before attempting removal in a month.

In my experience, the glyphosate is a waste of time. They need to
be dug out when in leaf, so you can find them.

I'm trying super-concentrated glyphosate. I'm hoping it'll weaken the
plant enough so that the inevitable bulblets which get left will have a
difficult start when they start growing. There's no trouble finding
them - I know where they are as they are in flower. I'll get rid of the
flower stalk once the flowers have died down, and before they can set
seed. Other than that, I agree, they have to be dug out. Why are they
always growing next to a special plant? :-(

--

Jeff