Old 28-04-2020, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] pete@peteuk.com is offline

Default Wisteria root stock - allow "sucker" to grow?

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 4:50:00 PM UTC+1, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 28 Apr 2020 00:40, wrote:
On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 5:41:13 PM UTC+1, David wrote:
This year I've noticed a "sucker" starting to grow from the Wisteria
rootstock.

Normally I would just rub it out, but I am wondering what the rootstock
for this Wisteria is?

Any harm in growing it on enough to see if it will flower eventually?
Keeping it checked so it doesn't take over, of course.

Cheers

Dave R

--

I allowed one to grow on from one of my standard Wisterias across to an adjacent fence. Flowered within a year or so and mother and baby doing well ! Pete

Yes, but how old was the rootstock.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Hi Bob, About 35 yrs of age (:-) Sucker was a yearling from about four years ago! All three- just starting to bloom - I have two standards of the same age.
--
Regards
Pete