Old 02-06-2020, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default PING songbird

Snag wrote:
Thanks for the quick responses ! These are a shiny bean , larger than
kidney or Navy beans . I planted all I had , so no pics until they
mature . I have one more strip I might plant with some cowpeas , I just
don't know which I want to grow . Probably the Red Rippers , we like
them with a chunk of ham and some seasoning . We don't eat a lot of
beans , the wife got pretty much all she cared to eat while growing up .

i grew up eating mainly one kind of bean the small pea navy
bean, white, bland, not much going for them in terms of flavor.

later on after we discovered Tex-Mex and Mexican food then
at least i started to have other beans and now since i grow so
many i keep discovering more varieties. a lot of them do have
different tastes and textures so if you cook them plain in water
you can learn to enjoy them in different ways besides cooking
them with chunks of meat (which masks a lot of the flavor to
me). we do make baked beans with meat and spices once in a
while too, but most of the beans i make are plain so they can
then be adapted later if desired.

i hope those beans grow for you, i have no memory exactly
of what they were. if you stored them in the freezer
they should be ok. i did see in my messages that i mostly
did send you beans that were grown that season, but i didn't
list them anywhere i could find quickly.

songbird