Old 18-06-2020, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default scapes question

T wrote:
Hi All,

My bogatyr garlic just scaped. I cut them all of
and they are slated for the dinner table.l

yum! i pulled some green garlic the other
day and just ate it right there.

Isn't it a little early for scapes?

And about 1/3 of the leaves are now yellow.
Is it time to harvest?

it can vary. mine are just starting to get
scapes, so it will be a few weeks to a month yet
here and since i do let the scapes grow and get
bulbules on them i leave them a bit longer than
1/3, but as little as possible since it really
does start to affect the quality of the tunic.

i'll have to stop watering them in a few weeks.

so far this year has been about the opposite
of the past several years. which is ok but
different for sure. a lot of sunshine, things
are growin'...

songbird