Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Just Curious

Maybe, just maybe, you have an "anthropocentric view" view of plants? ( ;-)

Plants are professional biochemists (life and death), as opposed to humans
who only earn a living by playing at biochemistry. Usually plants have been
there, done that ... long (MY) ago.

Amusing story:
In medieval Italy there was a perfumer who after much hard work developed a
heavenly perfume that became popular at the court of the de Medici and thus
made him famous.

When centuries later the Italians came into the tropics they found a plant
which smelled just like this heavenly perfume and they said to themselves:
this plant that smells just like the perfume of Mr Frangipani we must call
the frangipani.

The frangipani smelled like frangipani long (MY) before Mr Frangipani lived
and certainly did not copy his "original creation"
PvR

Iris Cohen schreef
Some years ago I had a stapeliad type plant, I forget the name, whose

flowers smell exactly like cheese. Presumably its pollinator was some kind
of cheese fly. My question: mother animals in the wild don't leave their
milk lying around to turn into cheese. I understand cheese is strictly a
human discovery. So how did a flower evolve that smells like cheese?
Iris