Old 21-08-2020, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clerodendrum

On 17/08/2020 17:44, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 16:58:07 +0100, jeff Layman
wrote:

A couple of years ago I posted about a problem I was having with C.
trichotomum, which had started suckering. It's now a lot worse - I've
just found a sucker 5 metres from the original plant! At the time I
mentioned that although suckering with C. bungei was well-known and
often mentioned, there was nothing about C.trichotomum as far as I had
been able to find out.

That's still true for the books I have, with the exception of one,
although there is a limited general mention of suckering in some
species. "The Complete Handbook of Garden Plants", by Michael Wright,
published in 1984, notes "Propagate by suckering, root cuttings". That's
it - none of the RHS books mention it (even the 1992 "Dictionary of
Gardening). Hillier's Manual of Trees and Shrubs mentions suckering in
only C. bungei. The online Bean notes "It is easily increased by
root-cuttings, or by the young suckers which frequently spring from the
roots.". I'll say! Nowadays quite a few of the online suppliers mention it.

One other thing which I find strange (and one for SRH, maybe). All the
books I have, published before about 1960 (including a scanned copy of
"The Illustrated Dictionary of Gardening", published 1884 - 1888), refer
to the genus as /Clerodendron/. After that, it is /Clerodendrum/. When
did it change? There is nothing at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerodendrum#History about the name
change. The RHS Dictionary of Gardening says the origin of the name is
from the Greek "kleros" and "dendron".

Not being an expert on these things, but having done Greek for a year
at school many decades ago, I'm sure that Clerodendron ought to be the
proper name for it. And indeed, many suppliers do call it that, our
local Burncoose among them. https://tinyurl.com/y26q2eka

I have no idea why the N was changed to an M

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall