Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Jie-san Laushi

Default Calendars

Not at all. It is the custom in Europe (as far as I know), and some other
parts
of the world, for calendars to be printed with Monday as the first day of the
week and Sunday as the last,

That seemed to be the case in Taiwan, as my students, when reciting the days of
the week, would begin with Monday. It made the concept of "Weekend" easier to
explain, as Saturday and Sunday were indeed both at the end of the week in
their minds; what was more difficult to explain was the concept of Sunday being
at the beginning of the week, since I had just included it in the weekend.

On the other hand, in Portuguese, the word for Monday is "segunda-feira,"
literally, "Second Market Day," implying that Sunday (Domingo) had previously
been the first.

Jie-san Laushi

Huodau lau, xuedau lau, hai you sanfen xue bulai
to email: eliminate redundancy