Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Calendars

If I read this correctly you are stating that America is a Hebrew country?

Not at all. It is the custom in Europe (as far as I know), and some other parts
of the world, for calendars to be printed with Monday as the first day of the
week and Sunday as the last, which apparently you are used to. In the US, all
calendars are printed with Sunday as the first day of the week and Saturday as
the last. I don't know how or when this distinction came about, but I would not
be surprised if it was due to the extreme Reformism of the early colonists.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885
Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Howard Clase

In article ,
Iris Cohen wrote:
If I read this correctly you are stating that America is a Hebrew country?

Not at all. It is the custom in Europe (as far as I know), and some other parts
of the world, for calendars to be printed with Monday as the first day of the
week and Sunday as the last, which apparently you are used to. In the US, all
calendars are printed with Sunday as the first day of the week and Saturday as
the last. I don't know how or when this distinction came about, but I would not
be surprised if it was due to the extreme Reformism of the early colonists.

When I grew up in England in the 50's it was normal for the week in
calendars to begin on Sunday too.

It wasn't until I became involved with Finns that I met the
Monday start arrangement. BUT, however the calendars were arranged we were
taught in Sunday school that Sunday was the seventh day - the day of rest
from the Old Testament. The more you look into it the more complicated it
gets. Maybe as botanists we should adopt the biological 10 day "week".

Howard Clase

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Iris Cohen

we were taught in Sunday school that Sunday was the seventh day - the day of
rest from the Old Testament.
I'm sorry, but your Sunday school teachers were not versed in the Old
Testament.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Maybe as botanists we should adopt the biological 10 day "week".

Howard Clase

How many restdays in a 10 day week?
PvR

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Jie-san Laushi

Not at all. It is the custom in Europe (as far as I know), and some other
parts
of the world, for calendars to be printed with Monday as the first day of the
week and Sunday as the last,

That seemed to be the case in Taiwan, as my students, when reciting the days of
the week, would begin with Monday. It made the concept of "Weekend" easier to
explain, as Saturday and Sunday were indeed both at the end of the week in
their minds; what was more difficult to explain was the concept of Sunday being
at the beginning of the week, since I had just included it in the weekend.

On the other hand, in Portuguese, the word for Monday is "segunda-feira,"
literally, "Second Market Day," implying that Sunday (Domingo) had previously
been the first.

Jie-san Laushi

Huodau lau, xuedau lau, hai you sanfen xue bulai
to email: eliminate redundancy

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Howard Clase

In article ,
P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Maybe as botanists we should adopt the biological 10 day "week".

Howard Clase

How many restdays in a 10 day week?
PvR

Anything from 2 to 4 depending upon how many Saturdays and Sundays it
includes:-)

Some time ago somone pointed out that curious irregularities in bird
reports analysed on a ten day basis could be evened out if you took into
consideration the fact that most bird watchers are amateurs and went out
mostly at weekends!

Howard.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
How many restdays in a 10 day week?
PvR

Howard Clase schreef
Anything from 2 to 4 depending upon how many Saturdays and Sundays it

includes:-)

Some time ago someone pointed out that curious irregularities in bird

reports analysed on a ten day basis could be evened out if you took into
consideration the fact that most bird watchers are amateurs and went out
mostly at weekends!

Howard.

+ + +
Are you saying that a 10 day week is for birds only?
Initially you said:
Maybe as botanists we should adopt the biological 10 day "week".
Howard Clase

What about plants?

PvR

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Jie-san Laushi

Initially you said:
Maybe as botanists we should adopt the biological 10 day "week".
Howard Clase

What about plants?

How was this determined? Maybe it's just the way I was brought up, but I
remember being told about attempts in the past to go to a 10-day week, and oxen
dying because of not getting every seventh day off. Of course, they never told
me the source. I would like to know about actual research indicating a
biological week.

Old 05-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Iris Cohen

If you want a complete collection of Jewish calendars, you'll need 19 of them.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)