Old 06-10-2020, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David[_24_] David[_24_] is offline

Default More figs!

On Tue, 06 Oct 2020 09:51:27 +0100, David Rance wrote:

I had a good crop of figs back in July this year, probably the best
ever, and I was able to make several jars of jam as well as passing many
on to my family for eating.

But, for the first time, a second crop is growing and they are now
ripening; I picked about half a dozen this morning. There has always
been a second crop but they've never before come to anything. The best I
could do was to make a little green fig chutney a couple of years ago.
But a week or two ago I did notice that this second crop was growing
larger by the day.

These are about half the size of the summer ones but just as sweet. I'm
surprised as I didn't think that the weather had been all that suitable
for figs this year, especially the last few days with all the cold rain.
Yes, we've had one or two hot spells but they've been interspersed with
cold snaps.

There are literally hundreds of them and I'm wondering just how many
will actually ripen before the frosts come.

Pity I've had to wait thirty years for this!

I had a second crop a year or so ago.
We also scrumped a ripe fig a few days ago which was hanging ouver a brick
wall. Best fig ever according to my partner.

My Brown Turkey has a second crop of green figs but they are a bit
reluctant to ripen at the moment.

Times they are a changin.

Dave R

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)