Old 08-11-2020, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice on treating largeoutdoor pots with Jeyes?

On 08/11/2020 09:06, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 08:42:43 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

I have number of large outdoor pots that I wish to treat with Jeyes
Fluid. I have no container large enough to submerse them in. Any
suggestions please?also what dilution should i use? TIA

Why?

I ask because IMO sterilising pots is unnecessary, unless you know for
certain that they'd been infected with a real nasty, like phytophthora
for example. Bacteria and fungi are everywhere - in the air and in the
soil you'll use when you come to replant those pots. You can't avoid
them. All your pots need is a superficial scrub down to get the loose
soil off. Mine don't even get that - I just give them a knock to shake
out any remains of the old soil.

+1

A perfect summary of all that's required. I haven't washed a pot in years.

If you insist, doesn't it say on the container how much to dilute it?
Household bleach would do just as well.

A quick Google brings up this:

For washing down greenhouse, cold frames, cloches, and seed boxes with
35ml per 5 litres of water. Soak plant pots for 30 minutes then rinse
off. Do not use on polystyrene. For tools use 10 ml per 5 litres of
water. Leave for 5 minutes and then rinse off.

--

Jeff