Old 08-11-2020, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice on treating largeoutdoor pots with Jeyes?

I have number of large outdoor pots that I wish to treat with Jeyes
Fluid. I have no container large enough to submerse them in. Any
suggestions please?also what dilution should i use? TIA
Old 08-11-2020, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/11/2020 08:42, Broadback wrote:
I have number of large outdoor pots that I wish to treat with Jeyes
Fluid. I have no container large enough to submerse them in. Any
suggestions please?also what dilution should i use? TIA

Why do you want to do it apart from to make them smell of coal tar?

Ordinary washing up liquid or Flash will do just as well for cleaning
pots unless there is some nasty infection like blight to get rid of.
Jeyes will probably kill root mealy bug eggs more effectively too.

Some of whatever you choose in a bucket and a bristle panscrub for large
pots or old toothbrush for smaller pots is what I use.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 08-11-2020, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/11/2020 09:06, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 08:42:43 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

I have number of large outdoor pots that I wish to treat with Jeyes
Fluid. I have no container large enough to submerse them in. Any
suggestions please?also what dilution should i use? TIA

Why?

I ask because IMO sterilising pots is unnecessary, unless you know for
certain that they'd been infected with a real nasty, like phytophthora
for example. Bacteria and fungi are everywhere - in the air and in the
soil you'll use when you come to replant those pots. You can't avoid
them. All your pots need is a superficial scrub down to get the loose
soil off. Mine don't even get that - I just give them a knock to shake
out any remains of the old soil.

+1

A perfect summary of all that's required. I haven't washed a pot in years.

If you insist, doesn't it say on the container how much to dilute it?
Household bleach would do just as well.

A quick Google brings up this:

For washing down greenhouse, cold frames, cloches, and seed boxes with
35ml per 5 litres of water. Soak plant pots for 30 minutes then rinse
off. Do not use on polystyrene. For tools use 10 ml per 5 litres of
water. Leave for 5 minutes and then rinse off.

--

Jeff
Old 09-11-2020, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I have number of large outdoor pots that I wish to treat with Jeyes
Fluid. I have no container large enough to submerse them in. Any
suggestions please?also what dilution should i use? TIA

Why?

I ask because IMO sterilising pots is unnecessary, unless you know for
certain that they'd been infected with a real nasty, like phytophthora
for example. Bacteria and fungi are everywhere - in the air and in the
soil you'll use when you come to replant those pots. You can't avoid
them. All your pots need is a superficial scrub down to get the loose
soil off. Mine don't even get that - I just give them a knock to shake
out any remains of the oldĀ* soil.

+1

A perfect summary of all that's required. I haven't washed a pot in years.

I do wash some, but only thoroughly for those that have signs of active
root mealy bug in them. I also leave them to age for a while after
cleaning so that any eggs that get missed have no source of food.

Root mealy bug leaves cotton wool type marks on the inside of the pot
where eggs are protected.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Jeyes Fluid for Water Feature? Trevor Tyrrell United Kingdom 10 06-03-2011 06:58 AM
MOSS- Armatillox, Jeyes or bleach? Jim United Kingdom 0 05-05-2004 09:48 AM
Jeyes Fluid?? Mog Gardening 7 21-04-2004 01:04 PM
Jeyes? Heather United Kingdom 19 18-08-2003 06:12 PM
Jeyes? Heather United Kingdom 0 17-07-2003 12:43 AM