Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Juniperus 'Shimpaku'

An "irregular vase-shape" does not sound all that wide ;-)

I think at this point we had better explain to those who are new to botany,
when you see the abbreviation s. l. after the name of a genus or species, it
stands for sensu lato, in the wide sense. This means the species with all the
varieties on its fringes thrown in. The opposite is s. s., sensu stricta, in
the narrow sense. That is why I said that with the elimination of Juniperus
xmedia, and the transfer of several of its cultivars back to J. chinensis, that
species just got wider. Peter was trying to be funny.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885