Old 13-11-2020, 07:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Plastic tubs

Yes does seem a little wasteful though, to burn off the methane when
assumedly one could use it for something a bit more interesting and greener
than just a flame.
People near me are happily living over a clay quarry, and I gather few even
realise. If they knew what crap went into the bottom of that hole followed
by old clinkers from coal power stations before the soil, I doubt if they
would be very happy. In one place the road is already dipping and cracking
and at least one house lost its porch into a very deep hole which they
blamed on a spring. Well smoke and fire come to mind, but then it was when I
were a kid and there was no housing there for years just a lot of light
industry.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"williamwright" wrote in message
On 11/11/2020 11:44, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I am not really happy to say "They're cheap, just send them to
landfill."

The whole idea of them being cheap is so you can send them to the tip and
buy new ones.

I don't like the expression 'landfill'. It makes it sound as if it's
something bad. When I was a kid there was a council tip near school and we
used to go on it to see what we could find. They were tipping to a depth
of about 20 feet. We got lots of good stuff from it, bike parts,
wirelesses, dead U2s (put them in the oven to make them work then sell
them to the other kids for their bike lamps). Anyway, I digress. The parts
of the field that hadn't been tipped on used to flood most years,
otherwise there would have been houses there. But there are houses now
because thanks to the tipping the ground is about 15ft higher. Here and
there are pipes sticking up about 20 foot, and each one has a gas flame,
which is lovely for the residents at Christmas.

Bill