Old 11-11-2020, 11:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Plastic tubs

I have a number of the ubiquitous plastic tubs similar to these:

https://tinyurl.com/y5n43v7f

but all seem to eventually split near the handles after moderate
domestic use around the garden.

Has anyone found any that are longer-lasting, at a sensible
price?

I am not really happy to say "They're cheap, just send them to
landfill."

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 11/11/2020 11:44, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I have a number of the ubiquitous plastic tubs similar to these:

https://tinyurl.com/y5n43v7f

but all seem to eventually split near the handles after moderate
domestic use around the garden.

Has anyone found any that are longer-lasting, at a sensible
price?

I am not really happy to say "They're cheap, just send them to
landfill."

I thought it was just me that snapped the handles off them.

I have solved it by drilling a few holes in the sides and reinforcing
the handle with plastic coated gardening wire. I also use wire staples
to rejoin any splits in the sides.

Basically we shouldn't be filling them so full, but it happens...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 11-11-2020, 03:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 11/11/2020 11:44, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I am not really happy to say "They're cheap, just send them to
landfill."

The whole idea of them being cheap is so you can send them to the tip
and buy new ones.

I don't like the expression 'landfill'. It makes it sound as if it's
something bad. When I was a kid there was a council tip near school and
we used to go on it to see what we could find. They were tipping to a
depth of about 20 feet. We got lots of good stuff from it, bike parts,
wirelesses, dead U2s (put them in the oven to make them work then sell
them to the other kids for their bike lamps). Anyway, I digress. The
parts of the field that hadn't been tipped on used to flood most years,
otherwise there would have been houses there. But there are houses now
because thanks to the tipping the ground is about 15ft higher. Here and
there are pipes sticking up about 20 foot, and each one has a gas flame,
which is lovely for the residents at Christmas.

Bill
Old 13-11-2020, 07:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Yes does seem a little wasteful though, to burn off the methane when
assumedly one could use it for something a bit more interesting and greener
than just a flame.
People near me are happily living over a clay quarry, and I gather few even
realise. If they knew what crap went into the bottom of that hole followed
by old clinkers from coal power stations before the soil, I doubt if they
would be very happy. In one place the road is already dipping and cracking
and at least one house lost its porch into a very deep hole which they
blamed on a spring. Well smoke and fire come to mind, but then it was when I
were a kid and there was no housing there for years just a lot of light
industry.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Old 28-11-2020, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Nov 2020 at 11:44:16 GMT, "Chris J Dixon" wrote:

I have a number of the ubiquitous plastic tubs similar to these:

https://tinyurl.com/y5n43v7f

but all seem to eventually split near the handles after moderate
domestic use around the garden.

Just seen this, because I'm trying out Usenapp on my "other" iMac -- must have
missed it on my usual "Usenet" iMac. Anyway ...

Chris, (similar to Martin's solution) when a handle snaps off one of mine, I
drill four holes about 3/8" diameter in the plastic, two each to either side
of where the handle was (and therefore where its toughest).

Then I thread stout nylon cord/rope through the holes to give a double loop,
approx the size of the handle, and tie a reef knot. I have about five such
handles by now -- the trugs themselves last extremely well, given the use they
get!

John