Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Juniperus 'Shimpaku'

Well it was you who used the abbreviation,

Not I. You have to watch those successive quotes. Somebody else wrote in that
'Shimpaku' is a cultivar in J. chinensis s. l.

I am not at all sure if adding new cultivars adds anything to a species
concept, or the "sense" of a species.
In this case it just indicates that eliminating J. xmedia moves the boundaries
of J. chinensis back to where they used to be.
Here's something else. Apparently Larix xmarschlinsii Is the correct technical
name for Dunkeld larch. (decidua x kaempferi)

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885