Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Juniperus 'Shimpaku'

Iris Cohen schreef
Well it was you who used the abbreviation,
Not I. You have to watch those successive quotes. Somebody else wrote in

that 'Shimpaku' is a cultivar in J. chinensis s. l.

+ + +
If we are splitting hairs: You did use it. You just did not introduce it.
However you were the first to use it in a sentence which depended on its
meaning being known :-)
+ + +

I am not at all sure if adding new cultivars adds anything to a

species concept, or the "sense" of a species.
In this case it just indicates that eliminating J. xmedia moves the

boundaries of J. chinensis back to where they used to be.

+ + +
That is the question. Eliminating the name Juniperus x media by itself is a
matter of a name (nomenclatural), while the boundaries of Juniperus
chinensis are a matter of the plants belonging to it (taxonomic).
+ + +

Here's something else. Apparently Larix xmarschlinsii is the correct

technical name for Dunkeld larch. (decidua x kaempferi)
Iris,

+ + +
Apparently so. Has been for a while, too. A quick scan shows a 1980
publication on the matter, but unfortunately in an out of the way journal.
Not easy to check.
PvR