Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

Default growing GIANT SEQUOIA- Sequoiadendron giganteum in India

In article ,
Iris Cohen wrote:
am planning to go ahead & give it a shot ... although it does not get very
cold near bombay
There are three Yiddish definitions.
A schlimazl is someone who can't grow pineapples in Hawaii.
A schlemiel is someone who tries to grow pineapples in Alaska.
A schmendrick is someone who tried to grow pineapples in Alaska; now he's
trying bananas.
Don't be a schmendrick.

Hey, if he wanted to plant hectares of them, maybe, but if he's just
having fun, why not?

I used to correspond with a guy who was growing Sequoia spp on an
island in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, where it's cold and wet year
round. I think he was also experimenting with Araucaria and some other
unlikely species. The Sequoias, at age 8 or 10 years, were doing
surprisingly well, and he was having fun.

I'd hate to have to list all the subtropical and alpine tropical plants
I've grown as annuals or as 'migratory' plants here in Toronto,
Canada. By 'migratory', I mean they spend the winter in the root
cellar, too cold to grow, but too warm to freeze. Wow, a Canadian fig
grower!

There used to be an organization of people who liked to grow things well
out of their normal range, which published a journal called Hardy Enough.

And there can be some real surprises. A guy who grew some 'air potatoes',
the subtropical yam Dioscorea batatas, just for the fun of it in Edmonton
Alberta was amazed to see them come up again the next year, despite -40
winter temps and not particularly deep snow cover.