Old 14-12-2002, 07:32 PM
Mhagen

Default growing GIANT SEQUOIA- Sequoiadendron giganteum in India

snip

I'd expect there's more than one such book, but I don't personally know
of any. There's a set of sketchy vegetation maps on the BBC "Walking
With Beasts" web site at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/beasts/changing...getation.shtml

Hmm. And just down the road they found mastodon bones with spear
points stuck in them and butchering marks. 14-20K years back, give or
take, Seattle climate was probably a lot like Whitehorse.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Iris Cohen

would like to grow a full fledged tall "GIANT SEQUOIA- Sequoiadendron
giganteum" or similar species in India....
The giant sequoia, and its nearest relative, the California redwood, Sequoia
sempervirens, are natives of the Pacific Northwest, where the climate is more
like England than India. You might succeed in some of the cooler parts of
Assam. Other American trees which are similar, but not quite so closely
related, are the bald cypress, pond cypress, and Montezuma cypress, genus
Taxodium. They are more adaptable & can be grown in hot climates. Do some
research on the Taxodiaceae.
Although they are naturally adapted to swamps, the bald cypress can be grown in
cultivation on dry land. There is at least one in the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885
Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Iris Cohen

am planning to go ahead & give it a shot ... although it does not get very
cold near bombay
There are three Yiddish definitions.
A schlimazl is someone who can't grow pineapples in Hawaii.
A schlemiel is someone who tries to grow pineapples in Alaska.
A schmendrick is someone who tried to grow pineapples in Alaska; now he's
trying bananas.
Don't be a schmendrick.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

In article ,
Iris Cohen wrote:
am planning to go ahead & give it a shot ... although it does not get very
cold near bombay
There are three Yiddish definitions.
A schlimazl is someone who can't grow pineapples in Hawaii.
A schlemiel is someone who tries to grow pineapples in Alaska.
A schmendrick is someone who tried to grow pineapples in Alaska; now he's
trying bananas.
Don't be a schmendrick.

Hey, if he wanted to plant hectares of them, maybe, but if he's just
having fun, why not?

I used to correspond with a guy who was growing Sequoia spp on an
island in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, where it's cold and wet year
round. I think he was also experimenting with Araucaria and some other
unlikely species. The Sequoias, at age 8 or 10 years, were doing
surprisingly well, and he was having fun.

I'd hate to have to list all the subtropical and alpine tropical plants
I've grown as annuals or as 'migratory' plants here in Toronto,
Canada. By 'migratory', I mean they spend the winter in the root
cellar, too cold to grow, but too warm to freeze. Wow, a Canadian fig
grower!

There used to be an organization of people who liked to grow things well
out of their normal range, which published a journal called Hardy Enough.

And there can be some real surprises. A guy who grew some 'air potatoes',
the subtropical yam Dioscorea batatas, just for the fun of it in Edmonton
Alberta was amazed to see them come up again the next year, despite -40
winter temps and not particularly deep snow cover.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Iris Cohen

I'd love to see a couple planted at the WTC site as a living memorial.

I doubt they would survive. Besides, there is no relationship between the
sequoia & Manhattan.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

gregpresley schreef
Flourish might be a 'generous' word - but they "might" survive. Actually,

somewhere in the east, perhaps at the Arnold Arboretum in Boston, they
actually have been able to make the Sequoia's close cousin, the Redwood
grow.

+ + +
Actually this "Sequoia's close cousin" has got a name, which is Sequoia.
Lets please not confuse things just for the sake of confusing them.

Also actually, the Arnold Arboretum boasts of a big Sequoiadendron (itself),
which however was not grown there, but transplanted in 1972 from Chestnut
Hill (nearby)
PvR

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Christopher
Green writes

Giant sequoia is hardy to somewhere below -20F, but its native climate
is much drier than New York is. With California native plants, wet
climate predisposes to all manner of diseases. Though it can live
thousands of years where it is native, I doubt a sequoia grove would
make the sort of perpetual memorial the WTC site deserves.

It grows quite happily in the British Isles, including sites which I
suspect are wetter than New York. Mitchell (Field Guide to the Trees of
Britain and Northern Europe) says it is frequent, but not thriving, in
towns, so perhaps there's something about the urban environment
(pollution?) that it doesn't care for.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Christopher Green writes
Giant sequoia is hardy to somewhere below -20F, but its native climate

is much drier than New York is. With California native plants, wet
climate predisposes to all manner of diseases. Though it can live
thousands of years where it is native, I doubt a sequoia grove would
make the sort of perpetual memorial the WTC site deserves.

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
It grows quite happily in the British Isles, including sites which I

suspect are wetter than New York. Mitchell (Field Guide to the Trees of
Britain and Northern Europe) says it is frequent, but not thriving, in
towns, so perhaps there's something about the urban environment
(pollution?) that it doesn't care for.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

+ + +
It grows quite happily in the Netherlands too (on the other hand Sequoia is
not hardy enough). I think we get less rain than New York (we are getting
something in the range of 75-90cm/year and I seem to recall New York gets
more?).

Don't know about cities: it seems to be typically a park & Arboretum sort of
tree. Cities are full of Metasequoia and, especially, Platanus.

A more practical argument against planting in New York is that the City is
known for its furious pace while Sequoiadendron needs plenty of time to
reach an imposing size?
PvR