Old 20-04-2021, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wild Rasberries

All are just 'a wipe with a hedgetrimmer in autumn' and then they come
back the next year.

Cultivated raspberries come in "summer" (floricane) and "autumn"
(primocane) varieties. I don't know off hand what the situation is in
the ancestral wild raspberry, but as some of the plants found in the
wild are escapes from cultivation there's be a definite chance of
acquiring a floricane form. Cutting those back in the autumn doesn't work.

(I've found that if you don't cut back primocane raspberries you get a
smaller crop in summer as well as the main autumn crop. My usual
practice is to cut out the dead growth about now, when you can see where
the new growth is.)

--
SRH