Old 02-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Setzler

Default Lawn grass mulch

THere is at least one weed killer that persists for several years, and will kill the
crop you mulch it with. I forget the name of it now, but I would seriously consider
not using any of it on your grass if you are interested in health hazards.

susan

Bill wrote:

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 16:12:05 +0000, Ann wrote:

I prefer using the lawn grass clipping on the garden as mulch. However prior
to the 1st mowing, I apply fertilizer with crabgrass preventative and about
3 other applications of weed&feed throughout the growing season. Would this
be considered a health hazard? Thanks

Use 'em. But, because of the crabgrass / weed & feed stuff, put them through a hot
compost pile first. There WILL be residues of those chemicals on the
clippings but the hot compost pile WILL put an end to them.

If you don't know how to run a hot compost pile, make a cold one by
stacking the clippings where they needn't be disturbed for a couple of
years. That's all you have to do. Then, when the clippings are no longer
clippings but have been transformed into compost, use them liberally.

There is no place on the planet where toxic chemicals can not be found.
Just let nature take care of them before using the clippings for mulch.

Bill