Old 26-04-2003, 01:31 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Books on Chinese Trees

A difficult question. China has an enormous amount of species of trees and
on the whole these are poorly known. There are Chinese books on trees but I
would not know about them. When the reprint of Plantae Wilsonianae was
remaindered I gladly bought a set: there is a lot of information in this
three volume set (no pictures). These are still around at an ample discount
from the original price.

It might also be a good idea to buy some of the books on travellers into
China, not only "Chinese" Wilson but also his Dutch equivalent (sent out by
Hugo de Vries). A little futher out is "A reunion of trees" by Spongberg.

I am afraid I never got round to taking a real look at it. If you find a
good one let me know?
PvRd

Matti J Kinnunen schreef
I live as an expatriate in Hangzhou, China. Trees are quite different here
from the ones I am used to in Finland.

I have tried to find books on Chinese trees but without success.
I can read Finnish, English, Swedish, and German well. Books
in Dutch, Danish and Norwegian would also be useful.

Chinese books are still beyond my linguistics skills.

Any suggestions ?

- matti
--
* *