Old 26-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Matti J Kinnunen

Default Books on Chinese Trees

I live as an expatriate in Hangzhou, China. Trees are quite different here
from the ones I am used to in Finland.

I have tried to find books on Chinese trees but without success.
I can read Finnish, English, Swedish, and German well. Books
in Dutch, Danish and Norwegian would also be useful.

Chinese books are still beyond my linguistics skills.

Any suggestions ?

- matti
--
* *
* +8613588105960 *
Old 26-04-2003, 01:31 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

A difficult question. China has an enormous amount of species of trees and
on the whole these are poorly known. There are Chinese books on trees but I
would not know about them. When the reprint of Plantae Wilsonianae was
remaindered I gladly bought a set: there is a lot of information in this
three volume set (no pictures). These are still around at an ample discount
from the original price.

It might also be a good idea to buy some of the books on travellers into
China, not only "Chinese" Wilson but also his Dutch equivalent (sent out by
Hugo de Vries). A little futher out is "A reunion of trees" by Spongberg.

I am afraid I never got round to taking a real look at it. If you find a
good one let me know?
PvRd

Matti J Kinnunen schreef

Old 26-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Matti J Kinnunen
writes

I live as an expatriate in Hangzhou, China. Trees are quite different here
from the ones I am used to in Finland.

I have tried to find books on Chinese trees but without success.
I can read Finnish, English, Swedish, and German well. Books
in Dutch, Danish and Norwegian would also be useful.

There's a Flora of China available online, at

http://flora.huh.harvard.edu/china/

though you might find it too technical.

As PvR says, there's many more trees to be found (wild) in China than in
Finland.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-04-2003, 01:31 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
As PvR says, there's many more trees to be found (wild) in China than in
Finland.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

+ + +
Just about every country in the world has more tree species than Finland!
Likely even Luxembourg? Total number of trees (individuals) is a different
matter.

Unless I am totally mistaken there are easily more tree species in China
than in the whole of Europe. Perhaps even two, three or four times as many?
PvR

Old 26-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Matti J Kinnunen

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

http://flora.huh.harvard.edu/china/
though you might find it too technical.

As PvR says, there's many more trees to be found (wild) in China than in
Finland.
--

Thanks! This helps a lot.

If I find any good books e.g. those mentioned by PvR, I will post info to this
group.

/ matti

--
* *
* +8613588105960 *

Old 26-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , P van
Rijckevorsel writes
Just about every country in the world has more tree species than Finland!
Likely even Luxembourg? Total number of trees (individuals) is a different
matter.

I assume Iceland doesn't. I'm not certain about the UK or Ireland: they
have depauperate sylvas for their latitude, even by European standards;
and I don't know whether this is offset by Finland's northerly latitude.
(It may also depend on how many of the endemic British Sorbus are
considered to be trees.)

Unless I am totally mistaken there are easily more tree species in China
than in the whole of Europe. Perhaps even two, three or four times as many?

The European sylva is widely said to be depauperate compared to that of
China or North America; this is ascribed to climate oscillations
combined with the orientation of the mountain ranges.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Monique Reed

Iceland, according to my Icelandic botanist friend, has about 200
native plant species total. (Ah, the joys of botanizing in a formerly
glaciated area--totality is within grasp!) I don't think there is
anything truly tree-sized there. All the Salix species, for instance,
are little knee-high shrubby sorts.

Monique Reed

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In article , P van
Rijckevorsel writes

Old 26-04-2003, 01:31 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

P van Rijckevorsel writes
Just about every country in the world has more tree species than Finland!
Likely even Luxembourg? Total number of trees (individuals) is a

different matter.

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
I assume Iceland doesn't. I'm not certain about the UK or Ireland: they
have depauperate sylvas for their latitude, even by European standards;
and I don't know whether this is offset by Finland's northerly latitude.
(It may also depend on how many of the endemic British Sorbus are
considered to be trees.)

+ + +
Covered by "just about". If Greenland ever becomes a country, this will also
be a country that is very poor in trees
PvR

======

Old 26-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Sigvaldi Eggertsson

Monique Reed wrote in message ...
Iceland, according to my Icelandic botanist friend, has about 200
native plant species total. (Ah, the joys of botanizing in a formerly
glaciated area--totality is within grasp!) I don't think there is
anything truly tree-sized there. All the Salix species, for instance,
are little knee-high shrubby sorts.

Monique Reed

How high is "truly tree-sized"?
Trees over 20 m high can be found in many places in Iceland.
Old 26-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Monique Reed

Interesting. I wonder how she, as a field biologist, missed those?

M. Reed

Old 26-04-2003, 01:31 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Maybe they weren't there at the time?

According to
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinat...nvironment.htm
(re)forestation in Iceland is a recent thing, while the trees depicted in
http://icelandiscool.com/treepicture/
don't look as if they have been there a long time

When was she there anyway? If she was there when Iris was young then the
trees likely were not planted yet ;^)
PvR

PS to call this reforestation is taking a really long time view, considering
how long it must have been since the Ice Ages scoured the country of trees!
+ + +
Monique Reed schreef

==============

Old 26-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

In article ,
P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Maybe they weren't there at the time?

According to
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinat...nvironment.htm
(re)forestation in Iceland is a recent thing, while the trees depicted in
http://icelandiscool.com/treepicture/
don't look as if they have been there a long time

When was she there anyway? If she was there when Iris was young then the
trees likely were not planted yet ;^)
PvR

PS to call this reforestation is taking a really long time view, considering
how long it must have been since the Ice Ages scoured the country of trees!

And it hasn't been above sea level all that long, either!

What's mysterious to me, is how tree seeds could have gotten there before
humans arrived, although I suppose small seeded tundra species like birch
and willow could have come over on the ice floes with the polar bears and
arctic foxes mentioned in the first URL above. IIRC, the early settlers
had to import lumber from Scandinavia, and they, or the Greenland settlers,
actually coasted down to Labrador and Newfoundland to get wood well before
other Europeans discovered the Americas.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:31 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Maybe they weren't there at the time?

According to
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinat...nvironment.htm
(re)forestation in Iceland is a recent thing, while the trees depicted in
http://icelandiscool.com/treepicture/
don't look as if they have been there a long time

When was she there anyway? If she was there when Iris was young then the
trees likely were not planted yet ;^)
PvR

PS to call this reforestation is taking a really long time view,

considering how long it must have been since the Ice Ages scoured the
country of trees!

Beverly Erlebacher schreef
And it hasn't been above sea level all that long, either!

What's mysterious to me, is how tree seeds could have gotten there before

humans arrived, although I suppose small seeded tundra species like birch
and willow could have come over on the ice floes with the polar bears and
arctic foxes mentioned in the first URL above. IIRC, the early settlers
had to import lumber from Scandinavia, and they, or the Greenland
settlers, actually coasted down to Labrador and Newfoundland to get wood
well before other Europeans discovered the Americas.

+ + +
A survey of woody plants of Greenland featured such species as Juniperus
communis ssp nana [now var saxatilis], Betula nana, Salix glauca and Salix
herbacea, as wel as some Ericaceae. I imagine Iceland is somewhat comparable
PvR