Old 26-04-2003, 01:31 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Books on Chinese Trees

P van Rijckevorsel writes
Just about every country in the world has more tree species than Finland!
Likely even Luxembourg? Total number of trees (individuals) is a

different matter.

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
I assume Iceland doesn't. I'm not certain about the UK or Ireland: they
have depauperate sylvas for their latitude, even by European standards;
and I don't know whether this is offset by Finland's northerly latitude.
(It may also depend on how many of the endemic British Sorbus are
considered to be trees.)

+ + +
Covered by "just about". If Greenland ever becomes a country, this will also
be a country that is very poor in trees
PvR

======
Unless I am totally mistaken there are easily more tree species in China
than in the whole of Europe. Perhaps even two, three or four times as

many?

The European sylva is widely said to be depauperate compared to that of
China or North America; this is ascribed to climate oscillations
combined with the orientation of the mountain ranges.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley