Old 26-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

Default Books on Chinese Trees

In article ,
P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Maybe they weren't there at the time?

According to
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinat...nvironment.htm
(re)forestation in Iceland is a recent thing, while the trees depicted in
http://icelandiscool.com/treepicture/
don't look as if they have been there a long time

When was she there anyway? If she was there when Iris was young then the
trees likely were not planted yet ;^)
PvR

PS to call this reforestation is taking a really long time view, considering
how long it must have been since the Ice Ages scoured the country of trees!

And it hasn't been above sea level all that long, either!

What's mysterious to me, is how tree seeds could have gotten there before
humans arrived, although I suppose small seeded tundra species like birch
and willow could have come over on the ice floes with the polar bears and
arctic foxes mentioned in the first URL above. IIRC, the early settlers
had to import lumber from Scandinavia, and they, or the Greenland settlers,
actually coasted down to Labrador and Newfoundland to get wood well before
other Europeans discovered the Americas.