Old 27-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Julie

Default Yellow Jackets

Went out this afternoon to sift some compost, to use as
top-dressing in my veggie bed. The composter is one of those
round plastic bins that I bought from the city. It's been filled,
and ignored, for two years. So today I pry it open, and hear a
buzzing. Step back and throw a large stone at it, and out come
yellow jackets.

How they got in there to begin with, I don't know. The bin has
not been opened, is level on the ground, with a tight lid.

So my problem - how do I get rid of the bees, and still be able
to use the compost? I don't want to use a bug spray, or any
chemicals at all. Do I just knock over the pile, and wait for
them to find another home?

Thanks...

--
Julie