Old 27-04-2003, 01:32 PM
SugarChile

Default Yellow Jackets

I had them in my compost pile last year. I didn't use soap, although that
sounds like a good idea. I just turned the hose on it, from a distance, and
watered it down thoroughly every day for about a week. At that point they
seemed to be gone, but I waited a bit longer before digging in that pile,
just to be sure.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"Julie" wrote in message
Went out this afternoon to sift some compost, to use as
top-dressing in my veggie bed. The composter is one of those
round plastic bins that I bought from the city. It's been filled,
and ignored, for two years. So today I pry it open, and hear a
buzzing. Step back and throw a large stone at it, and out come
yellow jackets.

How they got in there to begin with, I don't know. The bin has
not been opened, is level on the ground, with a tight lid.

So my problem - how do I get rid of the bees, and still be able
to use the compost? I don't want to use a bug spray, or any
chemicals at all. Do I just knock over the pile, and wait for
them to find another home?

Thanks...

--
Julie