Old 27-04-2003, 04:08 PM
David J. Bockman

Default Why my Pink Dogwood Tree is Dying?

Cornus florida is susceptible to anthracnose-- yes. The problem is that
almost every dogwood has the anthracnose present, but when certain
conditions are met (stress factors such as drought, root zone damage,
borers, etc.) the anthracnose suddenly takes off and decimates the tree.

Dogwoods have a fibrous root structure close to the surface, so disturbing
the soil around the base of the tree (underplantings) can stress the tree to
the point that it fails. Pink flowering dogwoods are not more susceptible to
anthracnose than the white blooming dogwoods.

Dave

"Garden Clubber" wrote in message
om...
It's spring 2003 - what happened to your dogwood? I have the same
thing happening - however, because it was new - thought it was just a
poor specimum. Are they difficult to grow - more suspectible to
anthranose? I have also heard this "don't over-water".

Requester wrote in message ...
im in atlanta. it says pink flowering dogwood.

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
.. .

Requester wrote in message

i dont understand. its in part shade during the day and sun towards

the
evening. it gets watered regularly since we bought it about a month

ago.
it was doing fine blooming new leaves and a few flowers and now the

leaves
are dying. i dont get it. why??
how can i save this tree before its too late?

What type of dogwood (Cornus florida or Cornus kousa) and where do you

live?